Those that primarily watch Hulu Plus on a video game console can now trade their remote controls (or controllers) for a smartphone.
Yesterday, the company rolled out a new “remote control experience” update that brings all of the screen-casting functionality from Hulu’s Chromecast app to the PlayStation 4, the Xbox One, and PlayStation 3. (Sorry, Xbox 360 owners — you’re not cool enough anymore.) Like the Chromecast app, you just download the Hulu mobile app on an iOS or Android device that’s on the same Wi-Fi network that your console is using.
The move is just the latest in a growing trend among streaming services to shift away from traditional TV interfaces in favor of mobile devices. Basically, companies like Hulu are starting to realize that using a remote control to navigate through programming is a pain in the butt, but using your smartphone’s screen is pretty easy. And now that you can “cast” whatever show you want to watch to your TV, you really have no reason to keep using the old-school remote control.
Having played with Hulu’s Chromecast app for a while now, I can definitely say its a better experience than most of its set-top box apps, too.
Hulu said it’s planning to bring the new update to smart TVs, Blu-ray players, and other set-top boxes in the near future.
More about the Hulu
Founded in March 2007, Hulu is operated independently by a dedicated management team with offices in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Seattle and Beijing. NBC Universal, News Corporation, as of April 2009, Disney, Providence Equity Partners and the Hulu team share in the ownership stake of the company.
Hulu is an online video service that offers a selection of hit shows, clips, movies and more at Hulu.com, numerous destination sites online, and through the ad-supported subscription service, Hulu Plus.
Hulu brings together a selection of videos from over 260 content companies, including FOX, NBCUniversal, ABC, Criterion, A&E Networks, Lionsgate, Endemol, MGM, MTV Networks, Comedy Central, National Geographic, Digital Rights Group, Paramount, Sony Pictures, Warner Bros., TED, etc. Hulu also offers a wide array of acclaimed movies and documentaries.
The site focuses exclusively on professional video content and does not take on YouTube directly as a viral video destination.
Hulu videos are played in their own embeddable branded player. Content from at least a dozen TV networks and two major film studios is promised. Initial distribution partners includeAOL, Comcast, MSN, MySpace and Yahoo.
Jason Kilar, Hulu’s former CEO, explains the meaning of Hulu’s name, “Objectively, Hulu is short, easy to spell, easy to pronounce, and rhymes with itself. Subjectively, Hulu strikes us as an inherently fun name, one that captures the spirit of the service we’re building.” However, some aren’t so sure it was the wisest name to pick.
In September 2007 that Hulu acquired Bejing-based startup Mojiti and used its platform for the basis of the product.
Hulu gives advertisers an opportunity to associate their brands with its online video content. And, through the Hulu Plus subscription service, advertisers can extend their reach to the users of Hulu Plus enabled devices on market today.
In order to keep GTA Online flexible and constantly evolving, the game is built to receive new content in a variety of ways including major paid expansions at specific points across the year, dropping additional content via regular title updates, and even the instant and seamless addition of jobs via the Rockstar Social Club.
The Beach Bum content comes via a free update to GTA Online and Grand Theft Auto V’s Story Mode as part of the latest automatic Title Update (1.06), so just fire up your console to download it. Alongside additional game tuning (see details below), the Beach Bum update includes:
NEW VEHICLES, WEAPONS & MORE
Take on new Beach Bum Races with the BF Bifta dune buggy, the rugged Canis Kalahari off-road truck or the Bravado Paradise beach camper van. For aquatic-based endeavours, the classic Speeder speedboat is also now available. All four vehicles can also be accessed in Story Mode and are available at no in-game cost. To access them in GTA Online, just visit the southernsanandreassuperautos.com in-game website (or docktease.com for the Speeder).
Also available in both Story Mode and Online (and at no additional in-game cost) are the new SNS Pistol & Broken Bottle – a pair of close range weapons perfect for any beach blanket brouhaha.
This update also features a wide array of new apparel – everything from casual canvas hats to tank tops, t-shirts, board shorts and bikinis in a wide range of styles and colours… plus new hairstyle and tattoo customization options.
30 NEW JOBS COMING TO THE WORLD OF LOS SANTOS & BLAINE COUNTY
In conjunction with today’s Beach Bum update, we’re also adding 30 new Jobs to GTA Online today. This includes new beach-themed Races, Deathmatches, Parachutes, Last Team Standings and Gang Attacks, plus the beachfront “Survival on Del Perro Pier” and more.
TITLE UPDATE 1.06
Along with the new Beach Bum update content, automatic Title Update 1.06 also includes a host of fixes and adjustments for Grand Theft Auto Online, which are listed here:
- Fixed an issue where the game would delete your personal Vehicle if you have another player in it when you add a Tracker and Insurance.
- Fixed an issue where players could become stuck on the aerial view when entering GTA Online with cloud servers down and having just launched a mini-game.
- Fixed an issue where the mission ‘Damaged Goods’ would start even though it had previously been completed.
- Fixed an issue where under rare circumstances players couldn’t claim back their personal vehicle in GTA Online.
- Fixed an issue where under rare circumstances players were able to get the Declasse Sheriff SUV into Los Santos Customs and respray it causing the menus to malfunction.
- Fixed an issue where in rare circumstances players would lose all personal vehicles after being idle kicked and unable to rejoin an online session.
- Fixed an issue where players could occasionally get stuck after killing a pedestrian with a golf ball.
- Corrected an exploit where players would retain their personal vehicle after selling it at Los Santos Customs mod shop by transitioning back and forth between Story Mode and Online.
- Corrected an exploit where players could keep repeatedly selling a Bati 801 to Los Santos Customs.
- Corrected an exploit where players were able to duplicate vehicles by accepting a Mission while leaving a high-end garage.
- Corrected an exploit where a player could start a Team Deathmatch with all players on the same team.
- Players are no longer able to delete their GTA Online character while the Rockstar cloud servers are unavailable.
- Players experiencing any remaining technical issues (or specific issues relating to this new Title Update) are encouraged to visit our support website and get in touch with a member of our support team for proper assistance. You can also hit them up at @RockstarSupport on Twitter.